Procedures for Creating a Local Budget
Every Local Treasurer must create and submit a budget to the Statewide Treasurer (Finance Committee) by January 1st. It should be presented and approved by local membership prior to submission.
- Access the local budget template in Excel format on the https://mape.org/financial-forms page of the MAPE website and save to your computer.
- Enter your local information in column B, cells 2-4. The membership number in B4 will help calculate your new income for the upcoming year.
- Cell B8 - Using your current budget and financial reports, determine if you will have a surplus carrying over into the next budget and enter that amount. Unspent funds includes local strike funds, reserves and other unspent or unallocated funds that belong to the local.
- Cell B10 will have your automatically calculated membership dues income estimate based on the membership numbers entered in B4.
- Cell B11 should automatically calculate the carry over + the income. This is your total available budget.
- Enter the estimated expenses for each line item that pertains to your local. Add detail/notes in column C if necessary and dollar amounts in column B. If there is something missing from this budget, you may add a line to the spreadsheet by inserting a row.
- The proposed budget and estimated surplus will automatically be calculated.
- The budget template has formulas built in to calculate the necessary amounts for you.
- Make sure that the final budget is 0 or a positive balance, meaning, any remaining unbudgeted items would be in reserve. Not having every dollar accounted for will not cause a reduction in your income. To move funds from reserves into other budget lines in the future, it must be approved by the local membership as a budget adjustment at any time during the year.
Contact the Statewide Treasurer or Finance Committee members for assistance.