Article III - Membership
Section 1. Qualifications for Membership.
Any person is eligible to join MAPE if they are an employee in a bargaining unit for which MAPE is the exclusive representative; makes an application for MAPE membership; and pays MAPE membership dues. Members on layoff, leave of absence without pay for a period exceeding twelve consecutive weeks, or contesting a dismissal may remain as members for up to a year by paying dues, but may not hold office or receive lost time pay during this time. Members on military leave, as defined in the Labor Agreement between MAPE and the State of Minnesota, Article 14, Section 3, Unpaid Leaves. C. Military Leave, continue to receive all the rights and benefits of membership without paying dues.
In the event of a limited interruption or full or partial government shutdown, all affected members of the bargaining unit will retain their membership status (unless the member revokes their membership). Members serving in elective or appointive positions will retain their positions unless removed through a normal process (such as, resigned, defeated in an election, or replaced by appointment of a successor). Members not being paid will not be required to pay dues.
Section 2. Associate Membership.
- Former MAPE members who are no longer in government service may become MAPE associate members.
- Associate members who return to government service automatically lose their associate membership status.
B. Benefits. Associate members:
- Shall receive MAPE publications.
- May participate in Local meetings.
- May serve as non-voting associate members on local, regional, and statewide committees (with the exception of the Statewide Elections Committee on which associate members who are retired may serve as a voting member), with expenses – but not lost time – paid. (They will not be included in the required number of committee members with the exception of the Statewide Elections Committee on which associate members who are retired shall be included in the required number of committee members.)
- May attend the annual Delegate Assembly at their own expense, except MAPE will pay for breakfasts and lunches. However, associate members serving in volunteer positions at the Delegate Assembly such as teller, timer, etc., will have mileage and lodging paid for by MAPE.
- Shall have such other benefits as may be determined by the Board of Directors.
- Associate members have no voting rights in MAPE with the exception of the Statewide Elections Committee on which associate members who are retired may vote.
C. Associate members shall be associate members of the Local of their choice or remain at large.
Section 3. Non-Members.
Employees represented by MAPE, who do not pay dues, shall be referred to as Non-Members. Non-Members are allowed representation, but do not enjoy the privileges of membership.
Non-members shall not vote, make motions, debate, or seek or hold any elected or appointed position.
Section 4. Application for Membership.
A. Members. Application for membership shall be on forms established by MAPE and shall be accompanied by an agreement for payment of dues. Membership shall be continuous until termination of employment, or written resignation. Written resignations shall become effective 30 days after receipt of resignation.
B. Associate Members. Application for associate membership shall be on forms established by MAPE. Associate membership shall continue until membership is terminated or until a written resignation is received. Associate membership will be terminated upon returning to government service.
Section 5. Dues.
A. Members. Members shall pledge payment of dues by signing a dues authorization form and shall be liable for payment of dues until termination of employment, or written revocation of payroll dues deduction (subject to the provisions of the following paragraph), written revocation of the agreement for payment of dues (for dues paid by check, electronic bank transfer or cash) or while on military leave.
Payroll dues deduction shall continue through the duration period prescribed in the payroll dues deduction authorization form and may only be terminated at the time and in the manner prescribed in the payroll dues deduction authorization form.
As an alternative to payroll dues deduction, members may elect to pay dues by check, electronic bank transfer or cash.
B. Associate Members. Associate members will not be charged dues.
C. Local Dues. An individual Local may make an additional assessment upon its members, upon the prior approval of the Board of Directors and a subsequent majority vote of the Local’s members voting. Each Local that makes an assessment of individual members within its Local shall be responsible for all costs and administration of that assessment.