Local 802 minutes
Apr 3, 2019
MAPE Local 802 Meeting Minutes
Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Time: 12:00 – 12:45
Location: Retirement Systems of Minnesota, 1st floor Training Room
Present: President Jerry Schmitt, Treasurer Jeff Jacobson, Secretary Afiya Krueger, and Business Agent Alex Erickson.
The meeting was called to order at 12:08 pm by President Jerry Schmitt.
Jerry Schmitt, President: Meeting minutes for January 29, 2019 were distributed during the meeting. No changes or comments were given by members on the meeting minutes so a motion was made to accept by Peter King and seconded by Patrick Daly. Passed unanimously.
Sick Leave Policy Review, Jerry Schmitt: The sick leave policy has not changed, but we thought it was important to go over with membership. Managers and supervisors also received a sick leave policy refresher from HR. Please review the policy for details: https://mn.gov/mmb/assets/1337-sick-leave_tcm1059-124681.pdf. To summarize:
- An employee’s sick leave usage can be reviewed to determine if legitimate after 6 sick leave occurrences for themselves (the employees own illness/injury) within a year.
- Membership would like clarification on if the “fixed 12-month period” is the fiscal year, a calendar year, or a rolling year.
- For performance review purposes supervisors should not take into account legitimate use of accrued sick leave. However, the performance review should reflect how the employee’s attendance has affected his/her ability to complete job tasks.
- Don’t be afraid to use your sick time, just be aware of the policy.
Negotiations & Working Together Action, Jerry Schmitt, Alex Erickson & Afiya Krueger: There is a mass conference call April 4, 2019 at 6:30 pm. MAPE will call members personal phones so they can listen in on the negotiation items for the next contract.
We need people to attend the first of its kind large negotiations gathering on April 4, 2019. MAPE’s Working Together Action allows us to show that members care about the contract and that we have power in numbers behind our negotiators.
MAPE Elections, Alex Erickson: The statewide and local elections are coming up. Please be prepared to vote and/or consider running for an open position. Nominations close on April 11, 2019.
- TRA Labor Management Committee (LMC), Alex Erickson: TRA is restoring their LMC. The LMC is a way for managers, employees, and HR to discuss important issues within their agency before they get escalated to formal complaints. PERA and MSRS also have LMC’s
- Members Opting Out, Afiya Krueger: There have been several members from local 802 opt out of their union membership (dropping our membership to 81.22%). Make sure to share the good things the union does for employees. It’s all of our jobs to let people know without union representation we would be receiving less pay, fewer and/or more costly benefits, and less job security. Officers are working on a document to outline specific ways the union has improved employees working conditions to aid in these conversations.
Meeting was adjourned at 1:05 pm.
Submitted by Afiya Krueger | MAPE Local 802 Secretary