Local 1602 minutes
Oct. 3, 2018
Locations: Alexandria Technical Community College – Alexandria; M-State – Fergus Falls Campus; Hunan Restaurant – Fergus Falls
Attendance: See attached rosters
Local 1602 minutes from previous meetings accepted with no change.
- Vacation Accrual Request for prior state service.
- Janus Related Updates (by D. Engelhart, MAPE BA)
- Series of memberships drives: highly successful.
- History of pre-Janus Labor Rulings.
- With 75% state wide full members, makes MAPE financially solvent.
- State-wide full member numbers: 11,000.
- MAPE saw increase of members, despite Janus ruling.
- Local 1602 has 50 members that have not become full; encourage to sign card.
- Explanation of the MAPE member card.
- How is the tuition waiver system going for MAPE members using the four year college waiver?
- Is it getting approved by our campus Administration?
- Are their problems coordinating with other four year colleges to complete course registration and tuition payment?
- Introduction of Change of Invite for Local Meetings
- Delegate Assembly
- September 15th, 2018: significant as it was a single day assembly.
- Massive agenda was discussed and voted on by delegates.
- Short personal description of event by L.L. Hauge, Delegate from 1602, Local Secretary.
- Negotiation meeting will be every two years. Delegate Assembly was voted on by delegates to be annually, instead of every two years.
- Election Update
- MAPE has endorsed Tim Walz and Peggy Flanagan as Governor/Lt. Governor in the upcoming election on November 6th. Unable to Vote on November 6th, Early voting is underway!
- Short recap of his MAPE speech given by L.L. Hauge, Delegate from 1602, Local Secretary.
- Possible phone bank and door knocking in Moorhead in up-coming future; contact Dan Engelhart for further information to assist in Union push for election.
- What would we like to see in our contract? MAPE Survey and Local Survey
- MAPE would like to hold a brown bag lunch on campus to hear input.
- Each department to work on Negotiation talk points, based on needs of the department/ agency in a series of Brown Bag Sessions.
- Contact Donald Lucksinger, Region 16 Negotiations Officer for facilitators, if interested.
- Explanation of the Negotiation Flow Chart by Dan Engelhart, MAPE BA. Agency / Local
- Sam attended the President’s Committee Meeting on Friday, September 14th and was elected to the position of Assistant Chair on the President’s Committee which is a real asset to our Local 1602 to have a presence on this committee.
- Supplemental in the back of the contract holds contracts based from agency to agency depending on specific needs of the agency.
- Agencies should be thinking of specific compensations that could be added to the supplemental. Refer to negotiations team.
- Meet and Confer
- MAPE would like to schedule a “Meet and Confer” at ATCC shortly after the November 6th election
- Email will be sent out regarding meet and confer nominations, such as DNR and DHS.
- Looking for new people and agencies.
- Lost time and mileage will be honored.
- $10 Gas Card Giveaway as a meeting attendance incentive
- Tam Bukowski (ATCC)
- Melissa Jaskowski (M-State)
- Larissa Ness (M-State)
- Sam Martin (Hunan - DNR)
- Laurinda Brown (Hunan - DNR)
- Reminder of Union Steward Training in November to all full members interested.
- The new MAPE contract was distributed to the members present at the meeting. The contact can be viewed online at mape.org or by clicking on www.mape.org/contract Next Local 1602 Union Meeting will be on December 5th, 2018.
Written by: LeiLani Hauge, Secretary + Tam Bukowski, Member Date: October 4th, 2018
Approved by: Samuel Kuehl, 1602 President Date: October 9th, 2018