Local 1501 minutes
July 25, 2018
Local 1501 Meeting Minutes
July 25, 2018 - Lueken’s Village Foods North- Conference Room
Call to order- 12:00 p.m.
President Report- TJ Melcher
No report, unable to attend
Vice-President Report- Mike Bates
Elections- All positions were uncontested, so no voting actually took place. The new board will be official when seating takes place on July 27. Here are the results:
- President: TJ Melcher (Remains in place)
- Vice-President: Mike Bates (No previous position)
- Secretary: No nominations submitted (replaces Melissa Columbus)
- Treasurer: Brody Karger (replaces Jen Theisen)
- Membership Secretary: Katherine Kingsland (Remains in place)
Janus- Please see this Q&A to answer all questions regarding the Supreme Court Janus decision.
Delegates Assembly- Delegate’s Assembly will be held Saturday, Sept 15th, at the Doubletree by Hilton, Bloomington, MN. Each local is authorized delegates based on the number of members in the local as of April 1, 2018. The local’s president takes part as one of the delegates, and locals are authorized an additional alternate per delegate. Local 1501 has two delegates and two alternates. Delegates is a great opportunity to take part and learn more about MAPE and help shape our operations. Be thinking about it and if you would like to take part. We will select our attendee’s at our next meeting in July.
Union Stewards- Let me know if you’re interested in becoming a steward. We have seven current stewards their contact info is listed on the webpage and at the end of the minutes. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you would like help or information on anything. The stewards typically have a bi-monthly coordination meeting, which helps keep you up to date as well.
Salary Increases- Effective July 1, MMB has implemented the 2.25% salary increase. Your new salary rate should have been reflected on your July 20 paycheck. If you have any questions, please contact your local payroll or HR office.
Membership Secretary- Katherine volunteered to be the Membership Chair and has hit the ground running. Along with a membership drive from the Statewide Membership Committee a couple weeks ago, our local now has over 74 percent membership. She was even featured statewide in the MAPE email newsletter and on a conference call with statewide Local leaders to share recruitment lessons learned.
Our membership has increased by 12 percent from since March. This is great news for our local, as the interest, attendance, and volunteerism is skyrocketing. Our goal over the next year is to duplicate that effort and reach 80 percent. Thank you.
Membership cards- There is a new membership card that takes into account the Janus ruling, so if you haven’t signed (re-signed) a membership card in the past year we need you to fill out the new card or you can also do it online at www.mape.org/application. Currently 67 of our 181 members have done so.
Treasurer Report- Brodie Karger
Membership Recruitment- Katherine Kingsland
Katherine volunteered to be the Membership Chair and has hit the ground running. Along with a membership drive from the Statewide Membership Committee a couple weeks ago, our local now has over 70 percent membership. Which is an increase of over 10 percent from this time last year. This is great news for our local, and the interest, attendance, and volunteerism is skyrocketing. Our goal over the next year is to duplicate that effort and reach 80 percent. Thank you all!
Business Agent Report- Debbie Prokopf (unable to attend)
Janus v. AFSCME Supreme Court case update-
Regional Negotiations Representative-
Regional Director Report- Bryan Kotta
No report, unable to attend
Elections- complete (no further action needed)
Delegates Assembly selection-
- Delegate 1- TJ Melcher
- Delegate 2-
- Alternate 1- Katherine Kingsland
- Alternate 2-
Establishment of Local 1501 checking account
- The executive committee seeks to establish a checking account for Local 1501 to directly pay for MAPE Local 1501 associated costs.
- Currently our Local Officers must pay out of pocket and be reimbursed through MAPE central, which can be a lengthy process.
- The checking account will be subject to all MAPE policies as laid out in the Local Treasurer's Manual. Items of note include:
- The authorized on-hand cap with be set at $2,000.
- Only the Treasurer’s signature will be required for expenses under $200. Anything higher will require an additional Officer’s signature.
- The Treasurer will create a yearly budget and submit to the local for review annually by the last membership meeting of the Calendar year. It will then be submitted to the Statewide Treasurer (Finance Committee) by January 1st.
- An audit committee comprised of three regular members will conduct an annual audit of the checkbook activity.
- The audit will be completed by March 1st and submitted to the Statewide Treasurer (Finance Committee) by March 15th.
- The regular members cannot be officers nor anyone with signatory rights on the checkbook.
- Vote 8-0, passes
- 245 total members
- 181 Members
- 64 Fee payer
Local 1501 Contacts
Bryan Kotta (MnState) 218-477-2606 firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Jambor (MnState) 218-755-2056 email@example.com
Brodie Karger (MnState) 218-755-3777 firstname.lastname@example.org
Kat Kingsland (DPS) 651-793-2900 email@example.com
Kerry Ross (DNR) 218-308-2660 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Edevold (DNR) 218-308-2667 email@example.com
Mike Bates (DNR) 218-308-2364 firstname.lastname@example.org
TJ Melcher (MnDOT) 218-755-6552 email@example.com
MAPE Local 1501 2018 meeting schedule (12 p.m. – 1 p.m.)
Sept 26- Lueken’s South, 609 Washington Ave S, Bemidji
Nov 28- Lueken’s North, 1171 Paul Bunyan Dr NW, Bemidji
-- (meetings are held the 4th Wednesday of odd numbered months)
Meeting adjourned- 1:05 p.m.
Next Meeting: Sept 26 at Lueken’s South