Public Affairs Coordinator Position
The Minnesota Association of Professional Employees (MAPE) is the premier labor union representing more than 15,000 professionals employed by various agencies across the State of Minnesota and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system. MAPE is currently recruiting for a Public Affairs Coordinator position to help build a powerful organization that workers want to belong to; that can take bold, collective action; and be grounded in democratic, member-driven principles.
To be considered, qualified candidate must submit a resume, cover letter detailing experience in each of the key duty areas outlined in the position description, and three references no later than Monday, December 19, 2022 to: email@example.com.
Leah Solo 3460 Lexington Ave. N Shoreview, MN 55126
The Minnesota Association of Professional Employees is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people from under-represented groups to apply for this position.
This position is represented by OPEIU Local 12
Classification title: Public Affairs Coordinator
Working title: Same as above
Salary range: 14L - $28.96-$42.67 hourly rate
Job type: Full-time
Reports to: Director of Public Affairs and Communications
Bargaining unit status: Non-exempt
Travel: Some travel required
1. POSITION PURPOSE: The Public Affairs Coordinator is responsible for coordinating member engagement around legislative, political, and communications solutions at the Minnesota Association of Professional Employees. Taking direction from the Director of Public Affairs and Communications, the Public Affairs Coordinator is accountable for the following duties and responsibilities, articulated in no particular order of importance: (I) legislative advocacy, (II) political organizing, (III) communications support, and (IV) other related tasks as assigned.
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
I. Legislative Advocacy: The Public Affairs Coordinator is responsible for providing MAPE legislative support at the direction of the Director of Public Affairs and Communications. Specific duties include:
- Tracking legislative developments and formulating legislative strategy
- Lobbying legislators on MAPE issues and initiatives
- Providing regular legislative reports and recommendations
- Serving as a MAPE representative to assigned coalitions
- Building MAPE’s political power through member’s political engagement
- Coordinating member to legislator outreach for assistance in carrying out MAPE’s political and legislative agendas
- Testifying before legislative committees when assigned
- Working with Communications Coordinator to develop member stories relative to legislative advocacy
- Working with MAPE’s Members and others to coordinate in-district events.
Il. Political Organizing: The Public Affairs Coordinator is charged with coordinating MAPE’s political action program in a way that strengthens MAPE’s political power. Specific duties include:
- Engaging in political work with members, volunteers, and staff
- Broadening MAPE’s political activism through program recruitment, opportunities, and event turnout
- Directing and carrying out MAPE’s political plans and strategic political initiatives as directed
- Providing political education and training for members and staff
- Tracking political developments and formulating strategy
- Promoting member involvement in political affairs
- Tracking member and staff political involvement using the VAN and UnionWare
- Prepare reports and track political expenditures as necessary
- Representing MAPE at coordinated partner tables as directed
- Acting as advisor and coordinator for the MAPE PAC as directed
III. Communications Support: The Public Affairs Coordinator is expected to provide communications support relative to other assigned duties. Specific duties include:
- Maintaining the MAPE web page and social media platforms
- Assisting the public relations coordinator in media relations
- Assisting the assistant communications coordinator in the use of social media
- Assisting the communications coordinator on internal communication and research
- Using member data for the purposes of targeted communication
- Participating in the development of communications strategies
- Other Related Tasks: The Public Affairs Coordinator is expected to carry out several additional related tasks. Specific duties may include:
- Collaborate with staff and other departments on the carrying out of initiatives in the MAPE strategic plan
- Collaborating with staff on various projects
- Coordinating and scheduling appointments for membership engagement at the capitol
- Working on special projects as assigned
- PERFORMANCE REVIEW: The performance of the Public Affairs Coordinator will be reviewed bi-annually by the Director of Public Affairs and Communications and Business Manager. The purpose of the performance review will be twofold: (i) to agree to a set of concrete goals for the following six months and (ii) to assess the extent to which goals from the previous six months have been achieved. Performance targets should be based on the responsibilities and duties articulated in this position description.
4. PERSON SPECIFICATION: The ideal candidate for the post of Public Affairs Coordinator should:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in any field and 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- Have documented successes in the areas of legislative advocacy, organizing political action, and communications.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the legislative process, trade unions, the public sector, and political campaigns.
- Demonstrate superior problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and in a team.
- Communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize in a multi-tasking environment.
N.B.: The goals and work activities listed in this position description are intended to describe the essential functions of the person or persons assigned to this job. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
All MAPE staff are prohibited from any involvement in MAPE local, regional, or statewide internal politics.